If you are a residence of Nova Scotia, you are eligible to apply for a heating rebate. Acquire up to $200 heating rebate with heating assistance rebate program.
How to Be Eligible for Heating Rebate
You must pay for heat in your home (residential) and fulfill one of the following conditions to qualify for the heating rebate:
- Have a net income less than $29,000 and live alone, with no children or dependents
- Have a combined income of less than $44,000 and live with children, dependents, or other adults
- Receive Income Assistance from Department of Community Services
- Receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement or the Allowance from Service Canada
- You may still be eligible if your financial or personal situation has changed in the past year. Some examples of changes are becoming widowed, divorcing or legally separated, losing your job or turning 18 or having your custody change. To find out if your eligibility, contact the Department of Service Nova Scotia or Internal Services. Make sure you apply by 31 March 2024.
How to Apply for Heating Rebate
You must register online to receive the heating rebate
- For details about all supporting documents, please refer to the application.
- Send your completed application along with any supporting documents.
- View your application status online if you have applied online.
- Your heating assistance rebate will be deposited if your income tax return is direct deposited . Your rebate will be mailed to your address if it is not.
- Your rebate should be received within 8 weeks. If you have not filled out the application correctly or have additional information, it may take longer. We may email you if we need more information to process your rebate.
The rebate is available at no cost.
Before you begin, make sure you have these:
- All adults who are present on the application can sign the form
- Social insurance numbers and birth dates for all adult living in your home
Additional supporting documents may be required, such as:
2020 Canada Revenue Agency Notice Of Assessment For you and all other adults in your house
- Evidence of a change in marital status
- Canada Child Benefit Form
- citizenship application
- Information form for GST/HST payments
Heating Assistance Rebate Program might contact you and request a receipt or heating bill for oil, electricity or natural gas.
An email address is required to apply online. If the Heating Assistance Rebate Program needs additional information to process your rebate, it will email you. You will also receive an email from the program informing you when your rebate is due to be directly deposited. You can email via online through this page.